Responsible and ethical business conduct (Material Aspect 1)

Responsible and ethical business conduct (icon)Responsible and ethical business conduct (icon)

Conducting business ethically and responsibly, as well as reducing the environmental impact, is equally critical for our stakeholders. Several stakeholders, especially health care providers, patients, patient organizations and academics, encouraged us to further strengthen the CSR patient initiatives in Africa and Asia. Those initiatives offer access to education for health care providers, and care to persons living with epilepsy and their families in resource-limited countries.

UCB: a culture of integrity

UCB also continues to be strongly committed to a culture of integrity, transparency and ethical leadership. UCB’s values statement articulates the core principles and values governing how the organization operates and how decisions are made. It serves as a tool to help employees understand what influences the decision-making process based on integrity, transparency and ethics.

The company’s success depends on the integrity of its employees.

Luc, UCB (photo)

Luc, UCB

Code of Conduct

UCB’s Code of Conduct, available in 14 languages, outlines the expectations of the behaviors of UCB colleagues and establishes the boundaries. The Code of Conduct calls for ‘Performance with Integrity’ outlining UCB’s binding principles of business conduct and ethical behavior that is expected from colleagues and third parties acting on behalf of UCB. It includes various topics, such as conflict of interest, confidentiality, compliance, anti-bribery and anti-corruption, respectfulness, human rights and child labor policies, among others.

The Code of Conduct is a mandatory training that is completed on an annual basis. In 2016, the information system changed and a total of 6 594 UCB colleagues were registered in the new system. A total of 89% of colleagues completed the training. New employees have two months to complete their training and account for part of the remaining 11%.

The Drug Safety Reporting module needs to be taken every two years and of the 3 221 UCB colleagues eligible 85% completed the training, The anti-bribery and anti-corruption training module needs to be completed by a selected number of people and 69% completed the training.