Precautionary approach to environmental sustainability
In order to reduce the ecological impact, UCB actively works in the following seven areas:
- Ensuring legal and regulatory compliance;
- Using natural resources responsibly;
- Enhancing energy efficiency while minimizing carbon footprint;
- Promoting green chemistry;
- Controlling and reducing air emissions;
- Actively managing waste streams; and
- Applying greener lifecycle management principles.
A stringent and comprehensive action plan to become carbon neutral by 2030 including reduction and compensation mechanisms has been endorsed by the Executive Committee.
UCB applies the precautionary approach in innovation and development of new products as a tool for patient safety and/or environmental risk management, and considers the benefits and potential health and environmental risks of innovation and new technologies in a scientific and transparent manner.