1.1 Code of Conduct

UCB continues to be fully committed to a culture of integrity, transparency and ethical leadership. UCB’s values statement articulates the core principles and values governing how the organization operates and how decisions are made. The Code of Conduct serves as a tool to help people understand the decision-making process based on integrity, transparency and ethics. In the review of the Material Topics, business conduct is considered a very relevant Material Aspect.

In order to supplement UCB’s Code of Conduct and further enable our people to make ethical decisions, UCB initiated, in 2018, the deployment of an Ethical Decision-Making framework for senior leaders of the company, before further cascading the training to the broader organization.

The company’s success depends on the integrity of its people.

UCB’s Code of Conduct, available in 14 languages internally, establishes the boundaries and outlines the expectation for the behaviors of UCB colleagues.

The Code of Conduct calls for Performance with Integrity outlining UCB’s binding principles of business conduct and ethical behavior that is expected from colleagues and third parties acting on behalf of UCB. It includes different topics, such as conflict of interest, confidentiality, compliance, anti-bribery and anti-corruption, respectfulness, human rights and child labor policies, as well as whistle blower procedures.

The Code of Conduct is also available on our website.

Compliance Monitoring


 

The Code of Conduct is a mandatory training module that has to be completed on an annual basis. In 2018, 85% of colleagues were compliant completing the training. Newcomers have two months to complete the training and account for part of the remaining 15%.

The Safety Reporting Obligation training module helps UCB people understand why reporting drug safety information is important, what to report and how to report this information to protect our patients. It needs to be taken every two year. Out of the 1 944 UCB colleagues eligible, 92% were compliant completing the training.

The Anti-Bribery and Anti-Corruption training intends to help UCB people achieve a better understanding of the wider scope of risks related to bribery and corruption, how to identify them and how to avoid them. This module must be completed every two year by a selected number of people. Out of the 1 067 UCB colleagues eligible, and 91% were compliant completing the training.

 

 

 

 

 

Code of Conduct

Safety Reporting Obligation

Anti-Bribery and Anti-Corruption

The calculation of the 2018 compliance for mandatory trainings considered 2018 data only. In contrast, the calculation of the 2017 compliance included previous year data.

Audience

All employees

Selected employees

Selected employees

Frequence

Every year

Every 2 years

Every 2 years

Compliance rate 2018

85%

92%

91%

Compliance rate 2017

91%

96%

91%

The Talent and Company Reputation department has initiated a special program to ensure people complete these mandatory training modules.