Skip to website navigation Skip to article navigation Skip to content

A page refresh occures when a subject is selected.

Skip article navigation.

1.3. Revenue and recurring EBITDA

1.4 Net sales by geographical area

1.4 Net sales by geographical area

 

Actual

Variance actual rates

Variance CER

€ million

2020

2019

€ million

%

€ million

%

Net sales - U.S.

2 759

2 546

213

8%

265

10%

Cimzia®

1 174

1 088

86

8%

108

10%

Vimpat®

1 072

1 001

71

7%

91

9%

Keppra®

167

189

- 22

-12%

- 19

-10%

Briviact®

220

170

50

30%

54

32%

Neupro®

98

97

1

1%

3

3%

Nayzilam®

26

0

27

N/A

27

N/A

Established brands

2

1

1

-577%

1

-586%

Net sales - Europe

1 374

1 332

42

3%

46

3%

Cimzia®

431

429

2

0%

4

1%

Keppra®

223

196

28

14%

28

14%

Vimpat®

263

236

28

12%

28

12%

Neupro®

168

170

- 2

-1%

- 2

-1%

Briviact®

60

45

15

33%

15

33%

Evenity®

2

0

2

N/A

2

N/A

Established brands

227

256

- 31

-12%

- 29

-11%

Net sales - International markets

889

906

- 17

-2%

31

3%

Keppra®

398

385

13

3%

27

7%

Cimzia®

194

194

0

0%

17

8%

Vimpat®

115

86

30

35%

33

39%

Neupro®

45

52

- 7

-13%

- 6

-11%

Briviact®

8

6

3

45%

3

51%

Established brands

129

183

-54

-29%

-43

-23%

Net sales before hedging

5 023

4 784

239

5%

342

7%

Designated hedges reclassified to net sales

29

-104

132

>-100%

  

Total net sales

5 052

4 680

372

8%

342

7%

U.S. net sales increased to € 2 759 million (+8%; +10% CER). This was driven by the solid growth of Cimzia®, Vimpat® and Briviact® and supported by the launch of Nayzilam®. While Neupro® is holding up well in a competitive environment, Keppra® net sales reflect the generic competition.

Net sales in Europe reached € 1 374 million a plus of 3% (+3% CER) - adjusted by divestitures of established brands, the increase was 5%, due to the double-digit growth of Vimpat® and Briviact®. Keppra® also increased double-digit as it recovered from a local one-time rebate adjustment in HY 2019. Cimzia® was stable in an enlarging market. Evenity® was launched the first time in March, during the COVID-19 pandemic, reporting € 2 million of net sales.

International markets net sales amounted to € 889 million (-2%; +3% CER).The core products reached combined net sales of € 760 million (+5%) representing 86% of UCB’s net sales in this region. This was compensated by impacts from generic competition and divestitures within the established brands portfolio.

  •  With € 379 million, Japan represents the largest market and showed a growth of 3% (+3% CER) where Keppra® reported net sales of € 211 million (+19%) and Vimpat® increased to € 60 million (+46%), representing the largest products and over-compensating the decline seen with the allergy products due to their maturity and generic erosion. As of October first, the well-established, agile UCB team took over distribution of E Keppra® from partner Otsuka.

  • Net sales in the second largest market in this region, China, were € 108 million (-22%; -21% CER), due to divestitures and COVID-19 impact. Adjusted for divestitures, the decrease was 18% CER.

Designated hedges reclassified to net sales were positive with € 29 million (negative with € 104 million in 2019) reflecting UCB’s realized transactional hedging activities which have to be recognized in the “net sales” line according to IFRS. These are mainly related to the U.S. Dollar, the Japanese Yen, the British Pound and the Swiss Franc.